What if Dayton Metro Library does not own the item I want to borrow?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) allows patrons to borrow items from other libraries in Ohio and around the country. Delivery times vary from a few days up to a few weeks, depending upon availability. Most items can be sent to your local library branch for pick-up and all ILL services are free. Requests can be placed online, in person, or over the phone.
SearchOhio is our primary interlibrary loan service. After searching our online catalog, a link to complete the same search in SearchOhio appears at the top right of the results page. SearchOhio checks other public libraries around the state and is usually the quickest option. OhioLINK is a university lending service available through SearchOhio. OhioLINK serves mostly college and university libraries and can be used to borrow older books, academic books, or textbooks. Requests can be made online for free delivery directly to your local Library. All you need is your Library card. You can easily access SearchOhio through our catalog, opens a new window. Anytime you conduct a search that returns no items in our catalog, you are then given the option to check for the item in SearchOhio.
SearchOhio & OhioLINK Borrowing Guidelines
SearchOhio is our primary interlibrary loan service. After searching our online catalog, a link to complete the same search in SearchOhio appears at the top right of the results page. SearchOhio checks other public libraries around the state and is usually the quickest option.
How many items can I request?
- SearchOhio is limited to 75 requests at a time (including active, shipped, received, on hold, checked out, etc.).
- OhioLINK is limited to 25 active requests at a time. Those requests are included in the SearchOhio total.
How fast do these materials arrive?
- Delivery of items usually take less than 2 weeks.
How long is the loan period?
- Most books and audio are loaned for 21 days while movies are on loan for 7 days. Exact dates for return will be on our checkout receipt and can be found under ‘My Account’ online.
How long will you hold a delivered item for me?
- Items need to picked up from your requested Dayton Metro Library location within 10 days of your hold notice.
Can I renew items?
- SearchOhio items may be renewed up to 3 times.
- OhioLINK books can be renewed up tot 6 times, while media (DVDs + CDs) can be renewed just 3 times.
What if an item is lost?
- The fee to replace a SearchOhio lost item is $25.
- Due to the higher cost of academic library items, lost OhioLINK items cost $110 to replace.
How do I know if my item came through SearchOhio or OhioLINK?
- If you have an ILL item checked out, you can determine which service was used by looking at the sticker on the front of your item.
I can't find the item I need on SearchOhio/OhioLink? Can I still get the item?
WorldShare Interlibrary Loan (ILL) searches libraries around the United States, but has more restrictions and items take longer to arrive than using SearchOhio and OhioLINK. You can place a WorldShare request using our online Interlibrary Loan form.
- Patrons are limited to 10 WorldShare requests at a time and we cannot request something if DML owns a copy.
- All WorldShare items are checked out for 3 weeks and may be renewed one time for 2 additional weeks with lending library approval. Please call us at 937.463.2665 one week before the item is due and ask for Interlibrary Loan.
- Lost or damaged item fees are determined by the owning library.
- Photocopies and electronic documents can be kept by the patron.
Who is eligible to use Interlibrary Loan Services?
- Patrons with an active Dayton Metro Library card and less than $10 in fees are eligible for ILL services. Consortium (Troy-Miami County Public Library and Bradford Public Library), Student, and Connection cards are ineligible for ILL services.
- WorldShare use also requires patrons to be 18+ years old, have no overdue ILL items, and does not allow requests using Classroom or Home Library Services cards.
What type of items can I request?
- You may request books (print only), audio/visual items, electronic documents, photocopies of magazine or newspaper articles and microfilm. Some SearchOhio member libraries also allow requests on other materials such as video games.
Note: Some items are for In-Library Use Only
- Microfilm and other items that the lending library designates as "in library use only" will be kept in the Dayton Room at the Main Library for 3 weeks for the patron to view on site.