THE DAYTON ROOM
Local History + Genealogy Resources
THE DAYTON ROOM at the Main Library houses more than 200 years of historical materials about Dayton, Montgomery County and the Miami Valley area. The Collection includes books, photographs, pamphlets, magazines, newspapers, maps, manuscripts, postcards, videos and more. Many of our historic images can also be found in Dayton Remembers, our online digital image database. Flatbed and cradle scanners in The Dayton Room are available to help you digitize your own family documents, photos and history. The Dayton Room is located on the 2nd Floor of the Main Library.
For more information about The local history collections at the Dayton Metro Library, call 937.463.2665 and ask for The Dayton Room, or email history@DaytonMetroLibrary.org.
The Dayton Room Features
- Over 200 years of Local Historical Records
- Flatbed and Cradle Scanners
- Local History + Genealogy Experts
- Online Historical Image Database
- Computers + Microfilm Scanners
- Federal Documents Depository
- Local History + Genealogy Programming
Manager, Special Collections,
Mr. McQuinn joined the Dayton Metro Library in 1998, and he has managed the Special Collections Division since 2001. He has served in both public and academic libraries in Ohio, Wisconsin, and Michigan. He earned his Master of Library and Information Studies at the University of Michigan. Jamie enjoys reading biography, history, and historical fiction along with science fiction and fantasy titles. He is also active in Dayton community theatre and board gaming groups.
Intro to Newspaper ResearchApr 5th | 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Intro to AncestryApr 10th | 10:00am - 11:00am
History Buff Book ClubApr 11th | 6:30pm - 8:00pm
Genealogy DatabasesApr 17th | 2:00pm - 3:00pm
Intro to Fold3May 31st | 10:00am - 11:00am
Special Collections Summer Scares Vault TourJun 3rd | 2:00pm - 3:00pm
Local History Resources
- Ancestry, opens a new window - (Only Available In Library Locations)
- Dayton Daily News 1898-1922, opens a new window
- Dayton Daily News 1990-Present, opens a new window
- Dayton Obituary and Genealogy Database, opens a new window
- Dayton Remembers: Image Collection, opens a new window
- Fold3, opens a new window
- Heritage Quest, opens a new window
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, opens a new window
- Ohio Memory, opens a new window
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, opens a new window
- Show All Genealogy + Local History Resources
The Dayton Metro Library (DML) has been a federal depository institution since 1909. The government information collection at the Dayton Metro Library offers a core collection and specialized government documents including the US Government Manual, Federal Register, CIA World Fact Book, Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States, census information, and more. The Dayton Metro Library selects materials in both electronic and paper format.
Federal depository resources are available and usable for all library customers regardless of library affiliation, disability, age, residency, or other customer status. Any member of the general public may use depository resources in all formats at a Federal depository library free of charge and without impediments.