The Vandalia Branch leverages many community partnerships for the success of area students. As active participants in the 10-week after-school READS Program at Aullwood Audubon Center and Farm, the Branch staff is working to develop a love of literacy and learning. Additionally, they work closely with the local schools and teachers to create inspiring classroom collections and connect students to the many resources available at the Branch.
Vandalia’s first Library dates to 1945 when it was part of the Vandalia Township Building. In 1963, the Library opened its own building, which was remodeled over the years. The Libraries for a Smarter Future project called for a brand new Vandalia Branch, which opened to the public in November 2016 at nearly twice the size of the old building. The navigation theme of the Children’s Area reflects the community’s connection to aviation and exploration, and three specially commissioned art installations were created for this Library.