The Dayton Metro Library is hiring Substitute Information Services Assistants for various locations. The Library schedules substitutes to cover service points when a regular staff member is on vacation or off due to illness. Our Substitute Information Services Assistants (ISAs) provide frontline customer service, which may include assisting patrons with using the Library’s computers and streaming services as well as assisting in the selection of Library materials. The number of hours a Substitute ISA is scheduled to work each week can vary from zero up to 29. If you enjoy helping people and need a flexible schedule, this position is perfect for you! Join our team today!
DML is committed to cultivating inclusive environments and a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply, in addition to members from other marginalized groups.
Additional consideration may be given to individuals that are fluent or proficient in any non-English languages used in Montgomery County including Spanish, Mandarin, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Tagalog, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Turkish, Swahili, and American Sign Language (ASL).
Essential Job Duties
- Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Proactively provides assistance at all service points as needed.
- Provides library users with assistance in reference, readers’ advisory, and in the use of public computers, personal electronic devices and library virtual materials.
- Performs circulation responsibilities and related activities as needed.
- Assists with opening and closing duties.
- Under the direction of a manager, may assist with collection development activities such as redistribution, purchase suggestions or preliminary de-selection.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university preferred; or one to two years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents such as policies and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively and apply active listening skills. Ability to communicate effectively when dealing with patrons, staff and members of the community.
- Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Ability to determine patron information needs and construct a competent and complete search strategy.
- General knowledge of PC equipment required.
- Fluency with personal electronic devices and library virtual materials required.
- Ability to deal effectively with challenging individuals and/or situations.
- Subs may be asked to work day shifts, evenings and Saturdays.
Compensation and Benefits: The hourly rate for this position is $14.06. This position is NOT eligible for benefits such as insurance, paid time off, etc.
Application Process: Please send your cover letter and resume to Jennifer Kadel at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are accepted throughout the year for these substitute positions.