The Dayton Metro Library is recruiting for full-time Safety and Protective Services Officers to work in Safety and Protective Services at the Main Library in downtown Dayton. These officers will either staff the Dispatch Center (24 hours per day, 7 days a week) or will provide security in public spaces at the Main Library during open hours. They may monitor video feeds from all 19 locations and respond appropriately as needed. They will respond to medical emergencies when working at a branch and may be required to utilize their CPR/AED Certification. Patrolling officers will ensure that the Library’s Code of Conduct is being followed and will engage patrons appropriately. The selected candidates will possess excellent de-escalation skills and the ability to develop a rapport with Library visitors. These staff members may need to travel to branches occasionally in order to provide on-site security. Join our team today!
DML is committed to cultivating inclusive environments and a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply, in addition to members from other marginalized groups.
Further, we recognize the importance of language diversity on our team as Dayton was the first city in the United States to earn the status of "Certified Welcoming" city. We encourage applications from individuals that are fluent or proficient in any non-English languages commonly used in Montgomery County including Spanish, Mandarin, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Tagalog, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Turkish, Swahili, and American Sign Language (ASL).
Essential Job Duties
- Provides excellent customer service to all patrons, staff, volunteers and vendors at all times.
- Patrols all locations and areas as needed.
- Monitors cameras and alarms, at all hours.
- Monitors access to facilities through door and badging systems.
- Provides CPR or uses AED on patrons or staff in emergency situations that require it.
- In an emergency, acts as liaison between the system and emergency personnel, monitoring activity in an evacuated building.
- Answers and transfers calls made to the Dispatch Center, as appropriate. Monitors traffic into the Dispatch Center.
- Monitors weather emergencies for all locations.
- Maintains multiple logs of information.
- Accepts Lost and Found items at the Main Library, and logs them accurately.
- Assists with banning and trespass of patrons as needed.
- Plays closing announcements for Main Library.
- Troubleshoots/restarts the fire alarm panels, elevator help calls and entrapment, and Sonitrol intrusion or fire alarms.
- Acts as a floater officer for branch locations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- One-year certificate from college or technical school; or one-year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required. Ability to periodically drive.
- Thorough knowledge of security protocols and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to read, analyze, and comprehend instruction manuals, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively when addressing individuals and apply active listening skills.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of records.
- Ability to manage emergency and stressful situations calmly. Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Ability to learn new software programs and technologies.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. Ability to speak and hear required.
- Candidates may be scheduled to work first, second or third shifts or a combination thereof.
Compensation and Benefits: Starting hourly rate for this position is $19.00. Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance along with paid time off and OPERS retirement.
Application Process: Please send your cover letter and resume to Jennifer Kadel at email@example.com. These positions are open until filled.