The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a self-motivated person to become the full-time Information Services Assistant at the Brookville Branch Library. Our Brookville Branch is situated next to the local schools and enjoys a regular crowd of tweens and teens every day after school. The successful candidate will be delivering two preschool story times and one baby/toddler story time each week. We are looking for someone who is experienced in providing programming to children and who is very comfortable providing customer service to a diverse group of people. If you are energetic, hardworking, and a team-oriented individual who enjoys helping people, we want to hear from you today!
DML is committed to cultivating inclusive environments and a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply, in addition to members from other marginalized groups.
Further, we recognize the importance of language diversity on our team as Dayton was the first city in the United States to earn the status of "Certified Welcoming" city. We encourage applications from individuals that are fluent or proficient in any non-English languages commonly used in Montgomery County including Spanish, Mandarin, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Tagalog, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Turkish, Swahili, and American Sign Language (ASL).
Essential Job Duties
- Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Proactively provides assistance at all service points as needed.
- Provides library users with assistance in reference, readers’ advisory, and in the use of public computers, personal electronic devices and library virtual materials.
- Under the direction of the manager(s)/librarian(s), plans, develops and promotes programs and services to meet the informational and recreational needs of the community.
- Provides service and maintains liaisons with schools and community agencies.
- May serve with one or more specialty emphasis such as teen, children’s or adult services.
- Performs circulation responsibilities and related activities as needed.
- Assists with opening and closing duties.
- Under the direction of a manager, may assist with collection development activities such as redistribution, purchase suggestions or preliminary deselection.
- May create displays to promote library use.
- Submits required reports and budget requests. May serve on library committees.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university preferred; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required. Ability to determine patron information needs and construct a competent and complete search strategy.
- Ability to develop programs and services to meet community needs.
- General knowledge of PC equipment required. Fluency with personal electronic devices and library virtual materials required.
- Ability to use Internet and other electronic reference resources. Ability to use e-mail, spreadsheet, and word processing software.
- Ability to deal effectively with challenging individuals and/or situations.
- Schedule includes day, evening and Saturday hours.
Compensation and Benefits: The hourly rate for this position starts at $18.61. Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance along with paid time off and OPERS retirement.
Application Process: Please send your cover letter and resume to Jennifer Kadel at email@example.com. This position is open until filled.