The Dayton Metro Library is recruiting for Homework Help Assistant Substitutes to staff our Homework Help Centers. Successful candidates will utilize library resources to assist students in grades K-12 with their homework assignments or projects. They will also engage youth in a variety of literacy and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) activities. A typical schedule may be Monday through Thursday during the hours of 3:00 to 6:00.
DML is committed to cultivating inclusive environments and a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply, in addition to members from other marginalized groups.
Additional consideration may be given to individuals that are fluent or proficient in any non-English languages used in Montgomery County including Spanish, Mandarin, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Tagalog, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Turkish, Swahili, and American Sign Language (ASL).
- Creates a welcoming environment that focuses on relationship building, school support and academic achievement.
- Assists students in grades K-9 with homework focusing on literacy, mathematics and project needs by actively listening and having an open-ended discussion. Reviews homework assignments and provides constructive feedback. Supports students by offering technology assistance with personal devices, public computers, and library virtual materials.
- Discusses and demonstrates effective study skills such as organizing homework, proofreading, using study guides, taking notes from a textbook, and more.
- Ability to multi-task and assist 1-3 students in a group setting.
- Engages and encourages students through various means including literacy/math games and education-based learning programs during homework downtime.
- Supports Summer Reading Challenge and encourages participation and completion.
- Basic skill in the use of personal computer software or systems applicable to the essential functions of the job, which may include: email, internet browsers, word processing, and database software.
- Reports participation statistics to Homework Help Manager.
- Attends orientation and participates in trainings.
- Communication Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to speak effectively when addressing individuals and apply active listening skills.
- Education and experience: Ability to determine a student’s information needs. Ability to actively listen and understand directions to assist students. Proficiency in English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and simple mathematical functions such as, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Completion of at least one year of college or vocational school preferred; or one to two years related tutoring experience.
- Equipment, Tools and Materials: Ability to use computer equipment and standard office equipment required.
- Physical Requirements: Ability to periodically bend, lift, reach, turn, hold, carry, grasp, walk, stand, and use keyboard. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. Ability to speak and hear required.
- Technical Skills: Ability to use computer equipment. Proficient in using email, Microsoft Office products and the Internet.
Compensation and Benefits: Starting hourly rate for this position is $14.06. Homework Help Assistant Substitutes are NOT eligible for insurance benefits or paid time off.
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Allison Knight at firstname.lastname@example.org. These positions are open until filled.