About the West Carrollton Branch: The West Carrollton Branch Library started as a part-time branch in a building shared with a blacksmith shop in 1942. In 1946 the library was moved to the West Carrollton city building. By 1976 it was the smallest full-time branch in the system, while being sixth in the rate of circulation. When the City of West Carrollton began planning a new Civic Center, the Dayton Metro Library accepted the offer of a 20-year lease on 8,200 square feet of space. The library moved into the Civic Center in 1979.