The Dayton Metro Library may allow materials from community organizations and individuals to be displayed in a designated area for distribution to area residents. Programs and events publicized through the library’s community-information areas should be compatible with the library’s purpose of providing educational, cultural, recreational, and information services to the community. The presence of a brochure, flyer, or any other notice in the library does not necessarily indicate that the library either advocates or endorses the viewpoints expressed.
The following non-library materials will not be accepted for display or distribution:
- Posters and flyers designed for wall, board, or sign displays.
- Materials exclusively promoting commercial products or services that have less than 50% informational or educational content.
- Materials larger than 8.5” x 11”. *Note: Free newspapers or publications that fall outside these parameters that represent a formal partnership may be approved on a case-by case bases. Large format materials approved for display must be supplied in self-contained display stands or kits.
- Campaign literature for a political candidate. *Note: Non-partisan political materials that provide information on ballot issues only may be approved for display.
- Non-library materials requested to be displayed at, or distributed by, the Main Library must be approved by the External Relations Department.
- Non-library materials requested to be displayed at a branch library, must be approved by the Branch Library Manager.
- Approval will be given based upon the limitations of display space, the timeliness of the material, and the relevance of the material to the civic, educational, informational, cultural, recreational, or vocational life of the community. Local organizations and events may be given preference.
- The Library will designate space for display of approved materials at each location and reserves the right to limit quantities.
- Library employees are responsible for placing materials for public display or distribution. Materials are not to be posted by persons not employed by the Dayton Metro Library.
- Each library location reserves the right to post and remove items based on its own schedule. Materials posted without approval will be removed.
- No organization or individual may advertise that its materials are available at the Library unless this has been cleared with the Branch Library Manager/External Relations Manager in advance.
- The External Relations Department may distribute approved non-library materials to each Library Branch through regular library delivery, free of charge. The Library will not make copies of materials for distribution.
Policy Approved, July 1, 2015